Air Ionizer Purifiers have been around quite a few years. And for many people the success of the Sharper Image "Ionic Breeze" (and "negative ionizers") have become synonymous with air purifiers for many people when they think of cleaning the air. However there are many misconceptions when it comes to the difference between ionizers, negative ions, ozone, ionic and what they do.
Inexpensive to maintain (and manufacture) they fail to work well for anyone wanting complete particle removal as in allergies and asthma. Some air purifier ionizers can also tend to create a dangerous byproduct which can be harmful: Ozone. More about that in a moment.
Negative Ion Purifiers - This is different from ionizers. Instead of attracting dirt and pollution to the plates negative ion machines generate free-floating negative ions whch go out into the room, killing odor, disabling some pollution, and creating healthy air. Negative ions are naturally ocurring and needed for healthy air.
Ozone Air Purifiers - Ozone air purifiers work by taking oxygen (which has two molecules) and creating a third oxygen molecule. This third molecule is like a free-radical which leaves the air purifier and goes out into the room - killing mold and odors. It's great for mold and odor, but too many ozone molecules can irritate or even damage sensitive lungs. Popular Brands are Ecoquest (which is now Vollara air purifiers) and Alpine (which was the original).
1 - Inexpensive
2 - They use convenient washable plates
3 - They work well for smoke and odor
4 - Smokers: it will work without hepa filter costs
1 - Does not do a good job on dust or pollen
2 - May create harmful or irritating Ozone
3 - Does not help with viruses, mold, or germs
2. Particle Removal (Allergens, Dust) 3
3. Immune System Threats (Germs, Virus, etc.) 1
4. Gas Removal (Odor, Chemicals, Smoke) 8
5. Longevity/Quality 6
6. Noise Levels 4
7. Ease of Use 10
8. Warranty 3
9. Customer Service/Reputation (reviews) N/A
10. Price Value 4
Score: 40 = Fair
1) Ionization - with a grid (instead of plates...DOES NOT CREATE OZONE) to clear smoke, and extend the HEPA filter life. It even extends the life of the HEPA
2) Hepa - for removing dust, dirt, and pollen
3) Negative Ions - for healthy Air
4) Carbon - for removing smoke, gases and chemical fumes.
5) A Washable Pre-filter - grabs hair and dust, extending HEPA filter life.
6) UV Light - for killing germs and viruses
7) Tio2 - for killing mold, viruses, bacteria and germs with UV.
Your first paragraph ...